This network is open to all those working in North Yorkshire with children aged 0 to 5, including music practitioners, workshop leaders, playgroup leaders, children’s centre managers and staff, childminders, and students.
Basic membership is free, and members in this tier receive:
• Quarterly e-bulletins featuring the latest policy updates, research and sector news
• Invitations to Early Years Music CPD and Networking events in North Yorkshire, ensuring they’re the first to hear about training opportunities nearby.
For a small annual charge of only £25 per setting (up to three named staff) or £10 for an individual freelancer, full members receive e-bulletins and event invitations, PLUS:
• Free networking events*
• Discounts on NYMAZ conferences and training*
• Free webinars
• Access to online resources in the NYMAZ website Members’ Area
• Free copy of the NYMAZ Early Years Songbook: Songs for Modern Childhoods
• Free 3-week hire of resource kits*
• Free one-to-one advice in own setting (limited number)*
• Free opportunity to observe another practitioner delivering a music activity (limited number)*
*Within North Yorkshire county area.
Launched in September 2012, the Network has attracted over 300 members from settings as diverse as arts organisations to community nurseries, as well as freelance music practitioners and Head Teachers.
Regional Early Years Music networking events allow members to meet peers and experienced EY music practitioners, share practice with each other and pick up new tools, resources, songs and games to use in their own settings. See below for upcoming networking dates.
Our most recent Early Years Music Network Conference, 15 March 2016 in Skipton, included presentations from Dr Susan Young, early childhood music specialist; and Lucinda Geoghegan, Education Director for National Youth Choirs of Scotland and writer of the popular ‘Singing Games and Rhymes’ series of books. Workshops at the conference covered musical interaction for children with additional needs, implementing the Sounds of Intent framework in the Early Years, and examples of embedding music and physicality in early years settings.
“Really interactive / loads of ideas. Simple and cheap props to use, and I will…tomorrow!”
“Inspirational…the work/research is amazing.”
- Delegate feedback
Resources for Network members include the NYMAZ Early Years Songbook: Songs for Modern Childhoods, our online song bank, full of song ideas suitable for early years children; and a resources library, with kits available for members to borrow for up to three weeks at a time.
The Network also offers tailored advice and support for members, which include session observation and supportive feedback from an experienced Early Years music practitioner.
Get the Songbook!
NYMAZ Early Years Songbook: Songs for Modern Childhoods is available:
- Free of charge to full members of the NYMAZ Early Years Music Network
- Or for non-members, £5 (plus £4 P&P), direct from NYMAZ. Call 01904 543382 or e-mail email@example.com
- Songbooks will be on sale at NYMAZ Early Years Music Network CPD events for £5.
- Via Harrogate International Festivals website http://harrogateinternationalfestivals.com/music-festival/nymaz-songbook-workshop/
We are in the process of producing a CD of these songs, including live recordings of Early Years music practitioners in their settings. The CD will be included with the Songbook, or will be sent separately to those who have already purchased a copy of the Songbook.
As well as being able to hear the beautiful voices of children and parents from various Early Years settings in North Yorkshire using the CD, chord symbols and piano accompaniment are also included, in some places, for those who wish to play along. Our songwriters have provided suggestions for how to engage children in the songs, such as accompanying actions and musical interpretations.
NYMAZ Early Years Music Network Conference
Tuesday 1 May 2018
Scarborough Spa, Scarborough
more dates will be added soon…
If you’re not already a member of the network, join today to be kept up to date with future events!
Basic Membership is free, and includes e-bulletins and e-mail invitations only.
Full Membership costs £25 per setting, or £10 for self-employed individuals, for one academic year. Membership will expire on 31 August of the current academic year, or the following year for those joining after 1 June. Payment is by cheque payable to NYMAZ, or direct bank transfer.
Below are the visual minutes created during the NYMAZ Early Years Music Network Conference 2016.