Dales Jam requires an Assistant Music Leader for the RAM Jam youth jazz and improvisation ensemble
January – March 2016
Dales Jam is a community jazz band based in Skipton, North Yorkshire. Supported by the young music charity NYMAZ and with funding from the National Foundation for Youth Music, they coordinate RAM Jam, a well -established jazz group for young people aged 9 – 19 from the Ribblesdale area of the Yorkshire Dales.
The group meets for weekly rehearsals at the Victoria Hall in Settle, led by Musical Director Richard Ormrod (Jazz Yorkshire Awards Musician of the Year, 2012). The project is open to all young musicians, whether they’ve been playing for five years or five weeks and it doesn’t matter what instrument they play – there’s room for everyone.
At the rehearsals young people have the chance to devise, improvise and perform new works, with a particular emphasis on jazz and world music. The project stimulates communal music-making and creativity in a relaxed, positive environment. Repertoire includes ska, funk, soul, music from around the world and jazz classics, mixed up in a RAM Jam style. Participants also have the exciting opportunity to perform alongside the Dales Jam community band and high profile guest soloists at public gigs.
Dales Jam is seeking to recruit an Assistant Music Leader to work on a series of RAM Jam rehearsals alongside Richard Ormrod.
If you’re interested in delivering inclusive music outreach activities with children and young people, this is an ideal opportunity to get gain some ‘real-world’ experience, develop new skills, be mentored by an experienced practitioner, and help inspire tomorrow’s musicians. There are also further possibilities for ongoing involvement with the music leadership for both the RAM Jam and Dales Jam ensembles.
• Attending a preparatory meeting with Musical Director Richard Ormrod
• Assisting the Musical Director to prepare and deliver a series of
RAM Jam rehearsals, culminating with a final performance
• Engaging with monitoring and evaluation processes
• 5 January – 8 March 2016
• 9 rehearsals on Tuesday evenings, 4.30pm – 7.00pm
• Performance on Saturday 12 March 2016
• £50 per rehearsal/performance, plus travel expenses of up to £20 per rehearsal = £700 in total
• High level of musicianship: performance, improvisation and composition skills
• Good understanding of different jazz sub-genres
• Excellent communication, organisational and interpersonal skills
• Ability to relate well to young people, parents/carers and others involved in project delivery
• High levels of commitment, enthusiasm and motivation
• Commitment to the values of community music work
• Willingness to develop new skills and adopt a flexible approach
• Experience of working with children and young people in formal education or non-formal settings
• Experience of collaborative working
• Successful applicants will be required to undertake a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) Disclosure and adhere to Safeguarding procedures
To apply for this role, please submit a C.V. with a covering letter, outlining your skills, experience and interest in this role along with links to any supporting audio material to Richard Ormrod at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 5pm, Friday 18 December
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by 24 December and a decision made by 1 January.
If you require any further information, please contact Richard Ormrod at email@example.com