Find out about musical qualifications

There are a number of national bodies that you, or your music teacher, can approach if you’re interested in gaining a musical qualification:

ABRSM is the largest of the three accredited musical examination boards in the UK. It offers exams from grade 1 to grade 8 in all instruments, singing and theory. You will usually work towards these exams with your teacher, who will normally apply for examinations on your behalf.

London College of Music Examinations -
London College of Music offers exams in music and drama and communication.

Trinity College London -
Trinity College London offers exams across a range of performing arts, including singing, piano and musical theory.

Arts Award -
Arts Award can be based around any arts or media activity, and you can complete them in a wide variety of settings - like youth clubs, arts centres, schools, colleges, theatres or community groups. You can find an Arts Award centre near you by searching here -

Rockschool -
Rockschool offers exams from Grades 1-8 in popular music instruments, as well as diplomas. Work towards music exams with your instrumental tutor, who will also apply for examinations on your behalf.

If you are thinking about studying music, have a look at our ‘study music’ page.

Disclaimer: Please note that signposting to information, resources or provision by NYMAZ does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of such information, resources or provision by NYMAZ. It is strongly recommended that parents/carers check details with providers to ensure that the service being provided meets their individual requirements in terms of quality, safety, and appropriateness. It is also advised that where possible parents/carers visit provision and review inspection reports where available.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided, NYMAZ cannot accept responsibility or liability for any errors which may have occurred. Neither can NYMAZ be held responsible for any losses which you incur, whether financial or otherwise, from partaking in or relying upon any such information, resources or provision.