NYMAZ is seeking an exceptional individual to lead and inspire its Board of Trustees and steer governance and strategic development of the organisation.
NYMAZ is a youth music development charity which champions the transformative potential of music for children and young people. With a strong belief in the ability of music to change lives, we deliver high quality music-making activities across North Yorkshire through an established network of experienced partners. In parallel, we run professional networks which enable musicians and practitioners to develop their skills and learn from one another. Find out more about us via our website: www.nymaz.org.uk.
NYMAZ has entered an exciting period of growth and development, and have been selected as one of thirteen organisations funded by Youth Music from 2018 onwards to form the Alliance for a Musically Inclusive England. This is an opportunity for the right person to lead the Board and contribute to fulfilling our vision, that all young people in North Yorkshire have the opportunity to actively engage in music regardless of their circumstances.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, age groups and cultures. We want our Board to reflect the diversity of British society, and will help make this possible by: providing access support for people with disabilities; meeting in accessible venues; being flexible in scheduling meetings at different times of day; and covering travel expenses.
About the role
Following the planned departure of our current Chair, who is stepping down after fulfilling their term in the role, you will provide leadership and direction to our Board of Trustees. You will engage with Trustees and the Director of NYMAZ to ensure the Board meets high expectations of governance, and that the charity fulfils its mission and meets its aims.
You will lead and develop our strategy in consultation with the Director, and ensure that NYMAZ continues to develop opportunities for children and young people in challenging circumstances to engage in meaningful and inspiring musical activity.
We are looking for a forward-thinking individual who believes in the life-changing potential of music to champion the organisation, creating links with a variety of stakeholders, potential partners and supporters.
We are looking for someone who has the following:
• An understanding of charities and cultural organisations
• Experience of running an organisation
• Access to appropriate networks and contacts
• Strong communication skills
• Clear management skills
• Experience of operating as a trustee, or a Vice-Chair or Chair of Trustees, with oversight of a charity
• Knowledge of the musical and/or education sector
• Understanding of the role of digital technology within the sector
The Chair of NYMAZ will be responsible for:
• Line managing and providing support to the Director of NYMAZ
• Assisting with the recruitment of staff and trustees
• Acting as an ambassador for NYMAZ
• Providing strategic leadership
• Providing support with fundraising strategy
• Building and developing the Board of Trustees
• Overseeing best practice of governance
• Leading and motivating the Board of Trustees and ensuring they fulfil their responsibilities
• Preparing for and leading quarterly board meetings
• Approving policy, strategy and plans and overseeing their implementation
• Ensuring NYMAZ meets its legal, financial and governance obligations
The role will require a commitment of approximately 20 days per year plus quarterly board meetings and occasional attendance at events. You will meet regularly, at least once a month, with the Director (communicating via Skype is an option if the successful candidate is not locally based) and provide additional support as needed with e.g. recruitment and fundraising variable throughout the year.
Please note, this is a voluntary position.
For an informal conversation about the role, please contact Sarah McWatt, Director, at email@example.com.
We are an inclusive organisation and can make reasonable adjustments to application processes, interviews, training sessions and other activities on a case-by-case basis. We also provide ongoing support for the individuals we work with, so if you have particular accessibility needs, please do get in touch and let us know.
Application is by letter, or short two-minute video, outlining how you would approach the trustee role and how you feel your skills and expertise would benefit NYMAZ. Please email your letter/video along with a CV to Sarah McWatt at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: Friday 31 May, 5pm
Further information about NYMAZ
• NYMAZ Annual Review 2017-18
• Charity Overview of NYMAZ on the Charity Commission website.
• NYMAZ’s latest Annual Trustees’ Report and Accounts on the Charity Commission website.
• Find out more about NYMAZ here.
• Our current projects
• Our professional networks
• Our trustees
What our beneficiaries say about NYMAZ:
“It has helped me develop my musical ability and knowledge a lot. Without it I wouldn’t be half the musician I am today.”
“I have always regarded music and music-making as highly valuable but in our area the opportunities had not been great until this project.”
Parent of participant
“The Year 9 boys became part of a spontaneous group improvisation that developed out of a (NYMAZ) interactive concert. It was one of the most magical moments of my teaching experience. Every boy was involved in something musical and very special.”