12 January 2015
NYMAZ Early Years Music Network Conference 2015
Why should we sing? Discover why singing to babies and young children is vital and learn how to get started
7 February 2015, 9.30am-3.00pm
Community House, Portholme Road, Selby Y08 4QQ
With keynote speech by Emeritus Professor Colwyn Trevarthen
NYMAZ, the youth music development charity, is hosting its annual Early Years Music Network Conference on 7 February at Community House, Selby, 9.30am – 3pm.
The programme will explain “Why should we sing?” and feature the latest insights from leading researcher Emeritus Professor Colwyn Trevarthen. The conference will also address the common barriers which discourage us from singing to the under-fives in order for attendees to leave equipped with the confidence and practical support to introduce more music-making into their settings.
Highlights will include:
- A keynote address from Emeritus Professor Colwyn Trevarthen, author of ‘Communicative Musicality’. He will illustrate the sensitivity of infants and young children to the vitality and emotion of the voice, and how they take joy in making and sharing musical stories in song, even recognising them from before birth.
- Learn the basics of singing for (totally terrified) beginners, with Beth Allen
- Pick up a varied song repertoire, with songs for all occasions, led by Mona Zeidan
- Create new songs and music for your early years children, with Hugh Nankivell
- Q&A for curriculum queries - how do singing and music fit into Early Years Foundation Stage?
- Plus an opportunity to meet others, exchange ideas and share good practice
Heidi Johnson, director, NYMAZ comments, “ We can be easily deterred from making music with the under fives – whether it is a fear of singing in front of others, a sense of not being sufficiently ‘musical’ or simply not knowing where to start. Our conference will help attendees find their voice and to understand how to incorporate more singing into their early years activities.”
The conference is aimed at all those with an interest in music making with the under fives, including early years practitioners, music leaders, playgroup leaders, settings managers, childminders and parents/carers.
Tickets are £35 (£30 for Network members) including lunch and refreshments, and must be booked in advance.
To register, visit whyshouldwesing2015.eventbrite.co.uk, or contact Millie Watkins on Millie@nymaz.org.uk / 01904 543382.
The NYMAZ Early Years Music Network is funded by Youth Music and is open to all those working in North Yorkshire with children aged 0 to 5. Membership is FREE and includes invites to training events and conferences; opportunities to network with peers; online forums to share learning and effective practice plus e-bulletins featuring the latest policy updates, research and sector news.
For more information
Contact NYMAZ on 01904 543382, firstname.lastname@example.org